On 4th March, Monday in Ahmedabad PM Narendra Modi launched National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) dubbed as ‘One Nation One Card’ that would allow people to pay for any kind of travel charges like bus travel, metro, toll taxes, parking charges, retail shopping and even withdraw money. PM Narendra Modi launched this card while inaugurating the first phase of Ahmedabad metro train service.
What is One Nation One Card?
Many a time we don’t have change to pay while traveling in a metro, bus or train or for toll tax and parking. This One Nation One Card – interoperable transport card will eliminate all your travel related problems. The card is National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) compliant and is powered by RuPay card payment scheme by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). With this RuPay card in hand, citizens can pay for all types of public transport.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “Now, our dream of ‘One Nation One Card’ has been realized. People can also withdraw money using this Common Mobility Card. This RuPay card can be used for traveling in metros in any part of the country. In simple terms, we have merged the RuPay card with the mobility card.”
Why there was a need for National Common Mobility Card?
We as a country were relying on foreign technology for Automatic
Now to solve this problem, Indian Government developed its own AFC system called the Swachalit Kiraya (SWEEKAR) an Open Loop Automatic Fare Collection System and Swachalit Gate (SWAGAT) to construct a common payment eco-system based on NCMC standards. Until now, the idea behind ‘One Nation One Card’ is indigenous.
PM Modi said, “Since systems were made by different players, a card issued in one city did not work in another city. Thus, we asked various ministries, departments and even banks to resolve this issue.” He also added that such a technology was only present in few countries and that India too is a part of that club now. Also, with the Make in India card, the country no longer has to depend on foreign technology.
Where you can use One Nation One Card and what are the advantages?
Central Government Officials said the roll out of the card and a new feature in all debit and credit cards issued by the
- A user can carry this single card for making payments across all segments including metro, bus, suburban railways, smart city, retail shopping and also at toll plazas and parking.
- You can even withdraw money with this card.
- This card will offer a seamless experience to users with its quick contactless transactions.
- The service area feature of this card supports operator specific applications e.g. monthly passes, season tickets etc.
- Users can also avail 5% cashback at ATMs and 10% cashback at merchant outlets while traveling abroad.
- This RuPay card is also accepted at Discover and Diners Club International merchants and ATMs.
- With the help of this card, NCMC will allow banks to access the segments which are highly operated by cash.
- NCMC will also help the government with higher digital payments and reducing the overall operating cost for the entire ecosystem.
How can I get One Nation One Card?
One Nation One Card is like any RuPay debit or credit card that is issued by your bank. It can be issued in the form of debit, credit or prepaid card of a partner bank. It will be available with over 25 banks including SBI, PNB, and others. You will have to contact your bank to get the RuPay One Nation One Card with National Common Mobility Card support. The card can also be issued from Paytm Payments Bank.
Now instead of carrying your cards, cash, coupons, and rail or bus passes in your wallet just carry a card and travel freely.